FDHU Governance and Funding
Core Functions of Public Health
- Prevents epidemics and the spread of disease
- Protects against environmental hazards
- Promotes and encourages health behaviors and injury prevention
- Responds to disasters and assists communities in recovery
- Assures the quality and accessibility of health services
The regular collection, analysis, and sharing of information about health conditions, risks, and resources in a community. Assessment identifies trends in illness, injury and death and the factors which may cause these events.
Information gathered from assessment activities is used to develop local and state health policies. This process includes information sharing, citizen participation, compromise, and consensus. Policy development includes consideration of political, organizational and community values and foster shared ownership of policy decisions.
Assurance means making sure that needed health services are available. Assurance focuses on maintaining the capacity of public health agencies to manage day-to-day operations and provide the core public health functions. This function also requires monitoring the quality of health services provided in both public and private sectors.
History | Governance and Funding | Board of Health | Organizational Chart | Privacy Practices