STDs are one of the leading causes of infertility and are the most commonly reported infectious diseases in North Dakota and the United States.
STDs caused by viruses cannot be cured. These include genital warts, genital herpes, hepatitis B, and HIV. Treatment may help with symptoms.STDs caused by bacteria can be treated with antibiotics. These include chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea.
To protect yourself...
- do not have sex;
- limit your number of sexual partners;
- do not have sex while under the influence of drugs or alcohol or with people you do not know;
- use a latex condom every time you have sexual intercourse;
- if you think you have an STD stop having sex.
People become infected with STDs when they have sexual contact with an infected person. The symptoms vary depending on the disease, but in general may include:
Many people, especially women, may not have symptoms.Services provided (in the Minot office only) include:
- Sores or lesions in the genital or anal area
- Painful urination
- Discharge from the penis or vagina
- Bleeding between menstrual periods
- Abdominal or pelvic pain in females
- Rashes on the body (especially the palms of the hands or soles of the feet)
- Painful sex